Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sexual Abuse

With all of the stories on the Sex Abuse at Penn State and Syracuse, it really makes you stop and think. Let's start with Penn State.

OMG! I can't even imagine that there are people in this world who LITERALLY witness such a horrid act and DO NOTHING!!!! In my past, I have had a gut feeling over a situation involving an adult and a student. I saw something that I just had a bad feeling about--there was nothing that the police or my superiors or anyone would find credible. I did take the information to my boss--because I didn't know what else to do! Eventually, the police did get involved, but my part wasn't even a factor. I still felt bad! To actually WITNESS an indecent, ILLEGAL act and do nothing??? How could you live with your self??? I can't even imagine the consequence I think these men deserve. I feel so badly for the boys that were abused--I just hope they have been able to get the help they need and to move on with their lives.

As for Syracuse--I don't know. I need more facts. I need more information. But, I do have a CRAZY question...How do you allow yourself to be molested AS AN ADULT?? I understand how young children and even teens can be victims. But a 27-year-old man???? At that point, don't you STAY away from the person who is hurting you?? I know people will bring up the fact that grown women stay with their physically abusive husbands, but that is kind of different--THEY LIVE TOGETHER! I am not saying any of this to disallow the accuser's allegations. I am asking because I truly want to understand this. It wasn't until I was in college and took a class on women's studies that I understood how abused women stay. I need someone to explain this to me.

No comments: