Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Soap Box....

I can't take it any longer!  I have to say something somewhere.  I am not sure where the correct location should be...I can't say it in 140 characters or less, so Twitter is out.  I don't want to put it on Facebook--you get a lot of unwanted comments.  But, I have to say it or I will burst!!!!

Currently, there is a trial going on in Ohio that is causing a national debate.  However, the "two-sides" are both wrong in my opinion.  Here is the back-story....On an August evening, a bunch of teenagers were partying at three different locations.  One girl (I'm calling her Sue...just to keep things straight!) was there to hang out with all the football players.  She proceeded to drink way too much and ignore her friends pleas.  She traveled from one party to the next with 5 boys--2 of which would be accused of rape (T and M).  According to reports, T raped Sue in the backseat of the car with his hands.  At house number 2, Sue threw up and a picture of T and M carrying her was posted on social media.  At house number 2 or 3, Sue was on the floor with T and M while they again raped her with their hands.  Sue has no recollection of the evening.  Several videos and tweets and other postings of the happenings were put out on the internet.  They were taken down and deleted from phones.  T and M were arrested and charged with rape.  The other boys were not charged.

Here are my thoughts--there are many, so I am numbering them for clarity...well, for me.

1.  If she was so drunk that she does not know if it happened, she is in the wrong.  Does that mean she deserved to be raped.  NEGATIVE!!!!  It just means that she should not be drinking!  Let's not forget that she is only 16....where in the U.S. is that legal??  Yeah, it's not.
2.  If she was drinking that much, chances are that the boys were as well.  Could they have been thinking clearly if they were drinking?  I don't think so.  Does that mean they are innocent?  NO...it just means that their judgement was impaired.
3.  Where are the parents?  Not just of the girl or these two boys...but of all of these kids!!  My parents must have been strict with me or I was not in the "in crowd".
4.  Where is the conscience of this generation?  Who can sit by and watch this happen??  Where were the people looking out for the young lady?  Where were the people looking out for the young men?
5.  Why do we have different rules for athletes?  Why do we put them on a pedestal?  If this was the Chess Club President, would it have happened? Would the public outcry be there?

Where is our country headed???  These young men who are treated as gods face a life-time of registering as sex offenders because they acted crazy in a drunken haze promoted by their friends.  A young lady faces a life-time of emotional and psychological issues, and possibly physical issues, because she wanted to hang out with some popular boys.  She may or may not have given them reason to believe she was willing.

No matter what happened, several lives have forever been changed.  Could it all have been prevented if alcohol was not involved?






No comments: